In an effort to provide a balun with the tolerance of the model 4113 and the choking/isolation attributes of the model 4115, Balun Designs has developed the model 4114ocf. By utilizing our stacked core technology, we have created a 4:1 current balun that easily tolerates the imbalance caused by the proximity of large structures and metal roofs while still providing good choking impedance, excellent transformation and high power capability.
This balun is an excellent step up from the model 4113 and not as sensitive as the model 4115ocf. If you like to run high power, but need to erect your OCF dipole with a leg over or near your house, barn, garage or metal building, this is the balun of choice. The stacked cores double the choking and isolation while retaining the forgiving nature of windings on a single core. Core/winding configuration is patent pending and available ONLY through Balun Designs. This same balun is also available in different configurations. Look at the Model 4114 for complete information.
Click to Enlarge
All testing done with an AIM-4170 uhf Network Analyzer and precision 200 ohm load
Note: This 4:1 current balun is not the type used for an Original Windom which has a vertical coaxial radiator.
The model 4125 should be used at the center of an original Windom design.
There are a number of interesting designs for OCF dipoles available on our website
listed under the "Support & Downloads" tab at the top of the page
- Custom mix toroids provide broadband coverage. Toroids are coated with epoxy paint for extra durability.
- The design has excellent low frequency response and high efficiency (98-99%). Input impedance remains essentially flat across the HF spectrum.
- 2 separate bifilar windings of 14 gauge Superior Essex Heavy build polyamideimide Allex 240 Winding Wire. This is NOT the enameled type (Formvar) used by my less expensive competitors. It is coated with a polyimide covering rated at a minimum of 2000v breakdown voltage. The windings are then inserted into teflon tubes which increases the total breakdown to 10,000 volts.
- Typical insertion loss is < 0.2db
- SO-239 connectors are silver plated with teflon insulation.
- All hardware is Stainless Steel. Eyebolts and studs are 1/4"
- N connector and Alternate mounting options are available in Accessories.
- 1.5-54 MHz frequency coverage. 5kW power capability.
- Balun is installed in a weatherproof 4" X 4" X 2" NEMA rated enclosure.
E-mail a friend about this item.
Return to Catalog